North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University (NC A&T) has a rich history and a diverse group of notable alumni who have achieved success in various fields. Some of the notable alumni from NC A&T include:
- Ezell Blair Jr. (Jibreel Khazan): One of the “Greensboro Four,” Ezell Blair Jr. was a civil rights activist who, along with three other students, initiated the Greensboro sit-ins in 1960, sparking a wave of nonviolent protests against racial segregation.
- Rev. Jesse Jackson: An influential civil rights leader, Jesse Jackson is known for his work with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) and the Rainbow PUSH Coalition. He has been a prominent advocate for civil rights and social justice.
- Milton Jones: A former NFL player, Milton Jones had a successful career as a defensive end for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Chicago Bears.
- Rodney Rogers: Rodney Rogers was an outstanding basketball player who played in the NBA for teams like the Denver Nuggets, Phoenix Suns, and New Jersey Nets.
- Taraji P. Henson: A renowned actress, Taraji P. Henson gained widespread recognition for her roles in movies and television shows such as “Hustle & Flow,” “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” and “Empire.”
- Anita Brown-Graham: Anita Brown-Graham is a legal scholar and public policy expert known for her work in the areas of law, public policy, and economic development.
- Dr. Mae C. Jemison: The first African-American woman to travel in space, Dr. Mae C. Jemison is an astronaut, engineer, and physician. She served as a mission specialist on the Space Shuttle Endeavour in 1992.
- Ronald McNair (posthumous): Tragically, Ronald McNair, an astronaut and physicist, lost his life in the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster in 1986. He was the second African-American to fly in space.
- Rev. William Barber II: An activist, pastor, and leader in the Moral Monday movement, Rev. William Barber II is a prominent advocate for civil rights and social justice.
- Al Attles: A former NBA player and coach, Al Attles had a successful career with the Golden State Warriors and later became a successful coach, leading the Warriors to an NBA championship in 1975.
These are just a few examples of the notable alumni who have graduated from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. The university continues to produce leaders, innovators, and trailblazers who make a significant impact in their respective fields and communities.